Friday, July 29, 2011

Chaos Averted

Wow, There was chaos in our henhouse and has been for a couple of weeks. We got 11 chicks from a friend and of then only 4 turned out to be females. Well the crowing and the procreating was getting to be very cut throat. We had time on Tuesday and took 6 roosters to the auction. Good thing is they sell and you don't have to take any back home with you. We kept one Brama (Long John) for our rooster. From what I've read, they are pretty docile. (I hope). He crows like a sick foghorn but I'm sure he'll master that. The girls are much more settled now. They didn't have a second of peace with all the males in the pen. I had only been getting from 1-3 eggs a day because of the chaos. Yesterday I got 5! That meant all my laying hens except Cleo (she has 3 chicks she's raising) are laying again. Hoorah!

Here are the boys who went to auction.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carmi~
    I have three roosters, who were supposed to be hens! And, I agree, they torment the hens unmercilessly, but I just don't have the heart to 'find a home' because if anyone is going to eat them, it's gonna be me! :~}
    Thanks for dropping in at my blog. You asked about tuna. We don't charter a boat. We purchase from the same commercial fisherman every year and call in the order a couple months ahead of time and he calls when he gets in with his catch. We drive about 75 miles to go get it and it is already weighed and filleted for us. Like you said ~ we will never eat store bought stuff again!
    Toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too many roosters and would be chaos! I'm glad they all sold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Glad to hear your coop calmed down when you got rid of all but one of the roosters. I hope the same thing will happen here. I will do an update later on when the young hens are little older. I've noticed as well that the egg producution has slowed down--hoping with the rooster locked up that it will pick up again.

    Kateri @ http://dandelionhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete